Taking a page from ‘Nathan, here’s a peek inside the folder on my computer labeled “3. WORKING” (in case you’re interested, the others are “1. PUBLISHED” and “2. DONE”).
- A Murder of Crows
- Seven Boxes
- story (yes, really, that’s the filename—I haven’t opened the file since 2002; I have no idea what that one’s about)
- Straightening Up
- The Client
- The Curious Case of Buttons (it’s about a cat named Buttons—no, really)
- The Messenger (this one will never see the light of day, I assure you)
- The Teacher
And just for today, I’ll tell you about the files in the “2. DONE” folder, because I have a feeling some of them really aren’t—done, that is:
- By the Numbers
- Reunion (that one’s not done so much as dead and buried)
- Something like Heaven
- The Long Ride Home
- The Sidekick
- Waiting Room
- Walking (that one I originally wrote in 1988—I cringe at the thought of opening it and reading what I thought was good 23 years ago)
This doesn’t even include the stories that have been started and exist in a file called “ideas.doc”—one of those in particular I am really eager to start, but it’ll have to wait until next year, once I clear my current projects list.
So, since ‘Nathan made the same offer, if you name one of these, I’ll tell you what it’s about. Mostly. Maybe.